Book blogging and HTML: Linking Images

I’ve recently started a book blog (check it out), in which one of the features is a set of “read-alikes” placed at the end of each post. They take the form of cover images. I really like the idea of linking those images to lead readers to more information about these books (from Goodreads, at the moment). With a link to a description and social media/community reviews, they “don’t have to take my word for it!”

Although I haven’t memorized the HTML code yet, I have re-figured out how to do this a few times (precisely because I haven’t been able to memorize it). So in this post, I’m going to go through the steps I use to link a cover image to a Goodreads book description page. Continue reading

Recent Accomplishment in Digital Resources Management

Check out my new page, “Digital Resources Management,” for a project report that I wrote about a recent cataloging and e-journal records maintenance project. The link opens a PDF document.

My First Museum Exhibit Installation

During the past two weeks, I had the wonderful opportunity to volunteer to help the Heritage Professionals prepare and install a small museum exhibit at the Toronto French School. When I worked at the National Museum of the United States Navy, I researched artifacts and history for museum exhibits, and edited and proofread exhibit labels and texts. This most recent experience complemented that work by allowing me to participate in the more physical aspects of installing exhibits.

Over the course of about 9-10 hours, I learned about the manual skills required to prepare and install exhibits, where previously I had only worked with the more intellectual aspects (i.e. researching and proofreading). On the first day, I used exacto knives, foam core board, and Letra Tac to prepare and back photographs and labels. This experience taught me how important fine motor skills are in preparing exhibits, how demanding these materials can be, and how delicate the work is. Letra Tac is marvelously unforgiving – set it down slightly off-center and it will stick that way. (Also: watch out for the little white dots – they stick to everything!) The advantage of this is that you can be certain your photograph will stick to its foam board backing! Additionally, learning to properly use an exacto knife, and to make precise, straight cuts takes lots of practice.

The second day began with more of the same work, but in the afternoon we carted all the materials to the entrance hall, where the display case stands. I observed the measurements that are done to make sure all the items in the display cases are evenly spaced, and how challenging a book case with sliding glass doors can be when designing the exhibit layout. I held and slightly moved some photographs and labels and applied glue dots myself, but the bulk of my contribution involved cutting out shelf-sized pieces of fabric and 45-, 50-, and 60-degree angled easel backs for the labels. The first time I’ve used geometry since high school, I’m sure.

Ultimately, these two days, while brief, were very educational and fun. I’m glad I had this opportunity to learn more about exhibit installation and curation.

To read more about the project, head over here to check out the Heritage Professionals blog post.

A Class Project Exhibition

The context: During the last week of term, my instructor for our Management of Corporate and Other Special Libraries practicum course engineered a class exhibition of our projects. Each student was required to create some kind of visual presentation, whether a poster, a computer display, or other format.

The setting: An evening event with refreshments.

The actors: All students in the course, who completed a practicum project.

The audience: Information professionals, and all supervisors of the projects were invited to attend and to view and listen to student presentations about their projects.

The synopsis: This was the venue for me to present my digital archival cataloguing project. I created a poster that represented several screens in CollectiveAccess that I used when developing the program to support the Sanofi Pasteur Sites and Knowledge Network’s archival collections. It also included the main points about the project, such as a description, goals, problems, and outcomes of the project.

The review: I enjoyed talking to visitors about my project, but my favorite part was when I walked around and read other students posters and listened to them talk about their own projects, many of which were incredibly interesting, and a few which had strong correlations and similarities to my own project. It was fascinating to learn what obstacles other students had had in their project, and how they had worked around them in order to complete the project with positive results.

Puppets Lost in the Library! A Video

 

Obviously, working with puppets was really fun. Over the course of the project, I learned a little about maneuvering puppets, a little about the process of creating a film, a little about directing and working continuity of objects and placement into the shots, and a whole lot about editing. I used iMovie because it was available, and it turned out to be pretty easy to use. Long sessions of story-boarding and editing were draining, but rewarding and worthwhile. I learned that I have a pretty compatible temperament with the detail-oriented work involved in editing. It’s kind of amazing to me that I can now create videos. Previously, it was always one of those “Greek” things.

This video was created for an assignment in INF1310: Introduction to Reference, at the Faculty of Information, University of Toronto.